[CT Birds] Migration tonight and tomorrow morning

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Fri Sep 9 11:37:11 EDT 2011

I put together an email yesterday about nocturnal songbird migration and then never sent it to the list. Mea culpa. So here is an abbreviated thought (based on the current forecast) about tonight's potential. There will be a good movement of nocturnal migrants tonight. The forecast is for northwest winds slowly veering to northeast. The key for morning flight at Bluff Point in Groton will be when the winds veer easterly. Once the winds are easterly, the hot corner becomes very slow (our dead) bird-wise. So if you are planning on going there I strongly suggest an early arrival, as in pre-sunrise.

Predicting migration is as easy as predicting the weather, so a doddle really. My email program has Bold, Underline, and Italics font modification. If it had a Sarcasm font mod I would have used it for that earlier sentence. Anyway, the timing of the wind shift is all critical for the hot corner at Bluff. If it veers easterly before dawn, the hot corner will be poor. If not, it should be interesting. If any rain showers move through our area in the post midnight hours it could cause local mini-fallouts of migrants as well, but small roving mixed flocks of migrants should be around our area tomorrow either way. Good luck.

Dave

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.