[CT Birds] Boothe Park 9/9

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Fri Sep 9 18:47:06 EDT 2011

We can thank Hurricane Katia for the great migration weather which was the first real day of raptor movement at Boothe Park. Obviously it has been very slow and there has been much more going on for weeks thanks to Irene, but I spent a very nice split 5.25 hours at Boothe today along with John Marshall for a bit.

Raptors:
Osprey  7
Bald Eagle  1
Northern Harrier  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  20
Cooper's Hawk  2
Broad-winged Hawk  2
American Kestrel  3
Merlin  1
PEREGRINE FALCON  2
Total: 39

Plus a few local TUVU, RTHA, OSPR. I'll take it after the awful start to the season. The end of next week should feature a strong cold front at just the right date...

Southbound migrants included:
1 COMMON NIGHTHAWK - around 4:30
183 Chimney Swift* - all-time high total (124 on 08/27/10), probably many more
26 Ruby-throated Hummingbird* - all-time high total (17 on 09/18/2009), also probably many more
2 Northern Rough-winged Swallow
4 Tree Swallow
1 Bank Swallow
46 Barn Swallow
2 Cedar Waxwing
4 BOBOLINK

Migrants in the park included:
2 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Keep in mind I'm recording other birds when I'm not staring straight up at a hawk or looking for one in a very blue sky, and that this is year three. We get some great numbers, but all totals are likely higher...much higher in some cases, like with the hummers zipping by or stopping in the garden while I'm not looking. And it was quite quiet down here even though we had that awesome movement overnight.

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society