[CT Birds] Farmington Meadows

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Sep 9 21:44:09 EDT 2011

Passing this along.

 From SH Johnston:
09/09/11 - Farmington Meadows -- 4 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 3 Greater Yellowlegs, 20+ Lesser Yellowlegs, 20+ Least Sandpipers, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper, 3 Green-winged Teal, many Killdeer. These were all blown out of the water by the biggest PEREGRINE FALCON I have ever seen in my life. Nearly as big as the nearby Red-tailed Hawk that cruised by. The falcon was absolutely huge for a Peregrine, very  bulky through the chest and shoulders, rather deep slow wingbeats - as I saw it in profile against the bright sky I thought (hopefully) that it might be a gyr, but it landed atop a light pole next to me and I got excellent looks in good light - a young Peregrine, brown, streaked breast, and unbanded, implying a wild hatch. But HUGE. Memorable. It strafed the shorebirds again, quite low to the ground right in front of me, so I got a great show. Also seen: Broad-winged Hawk (soaring very high), Coopers (local),
 Red-shouldered Hawk (local), Sharpie (migrating), Bald Eagle (one of the locals). Great Egrets are here and there in the farm fields - a very unusual inland sight for this area, in my experience. Note: Many roads are still closed to thru traffic due to flooding. Warblers are moving through. Magnolia, Red- ad Yellow-starts, Canada Warbler, RC Kinglet. Hummers still at the feeder.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT