[CT Birds] the NEXT hurricane(s)!

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:17:50 EDT 2011

Did you think we were done with hurricanes for the year???

Thanks to all storm-birders for submitting your Irene-bird-reports to BOTH
eBird AND your state ARC avian records committee. Thanks for the direct
email discussions with most of you CT storm-birders this week.
If you have not done that dual data entry, please do it within the next week
or so;  or contact me or Marshall Iliff for assistance doing it.

Our "one-week" hurricane blog (intended to do "real-time"
Florida-to-Newfoundland bird reporting DURING the peak of the hurricane, by
monitoring all those listservs) was, ironically, knocked down by the storm
for 102 hours during the the "best" days of August 28- Sept 1 ....and we
have decided NOT to do a detailed catch-up reconstruction of those 102 hours
(partly because most of those reports have already "rolled-off" their state
bird-listservs [such as CTBirds] into archives, or some into oblivion).

Instead we are....
1)  assembling SUMMARIES of the Hurricane Irene birds at the hurricane blog,

2)  highlighting some of the more interesting sightings, such as Fran
Zygmont's INLAND Leach's Storm-Petrel photo...
http://hurricaneirene2011.blogspot.com/

3)  learning what we can from this hurricane and this experimental blog,
including the best safe LOCATIONS for watching the next storms (thanks to
Nick Bonomo and many others),

4)  and looking toward the NEXT HURRICANE by studying this evolving hourly
weather map every few days....
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

Thank You and Good Birding,
Tom Robben