[CT Birds] Binocular or Binoculars?...

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Sep 12 15:40:42 EDT 2011

While trying to not stray too far off topic, binocular is generally considered historically correct but now "binoculars" is truly the popular use. I expect "binoculars" will essentially be accepted as the norm through that popular usage, which is how languages usually evolve. Hence we are "gifted" with such new verbs as "parenting." Perhaps if we had an official government organ (such as exists in France) we could slow the evolution of American English. As the parent of three I would happily support such an agency so long as it outlawed the use of the word "Dude."

Straying back on topic, I have both 8x and 10x bins (another popular term). If one were to have only one pair for general use, both in open terrain and in close woodlands, I would suggest the 8x over the 10x.

Dave