[CT Birds] Bins, Binocs, Binoculars, etc

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 22:47:14 EDT 2011

I apologize but i have to add my two cents here.....
Enjoy your higher power "binocs" while you still can, because it might not
last forever!
My parents gave me 6x30 binocs in the early 1950s which got me started
birding very early.
By the 1960s I was happy with 7x35.
Through the 1970s I loved my 10x42 trinovids.
Got away from birding for a long while when my birding buddy Tom Davis died,
and now discover that my eyes are becoming so bad that I had to go all the
way back down to low power again...  6x32 katmai and still searching for the
ideal 6x.
So, my humble suggestion is to enjoy your high-power optics while you still
If my eyes were still sharp I would use "two pair(s?) of binocularS"....
10x for open/coastal birding, AND 8x as Dave said.... and start looking for
a good 6x just in case you are still birding at my age. (-:
Tom Robben