[CT Birds] Binocular Binoculars

Grimm, Chris chris.grimm at globepequot.com
Tue Sep 13 01:29:25 EDT 2011

Call them "binoculars."  Binocular (adj.) relates to the using of both eyes.  (For grammatical purposes, that there are two lenses is coincidental - the "bi" is the reference to two eyes, not two lenses.)  It is one device that allows you to use both eyes.

Bicycle refers to a two-wheeled contraption (as oppposed to a unicycle or a tricycle).  The prefix modifies "cycle" so a single one is not spelled in the plural form.  That they both begin with the same two letters is, for the purposes of this comparison, coincidental.

More apt to compare to "bifocals."  If you are blind in an eye and wear a single bifocal lens, you are still wearing bifocals.  Or, if we want to get away from words that begin with "bi," one wears one pair of "pants."

Before anyone says it, "binocular" is an 'acceptable' noun - but it is rather archaic.  "Binoculars" is the appropriate spelling.  If you don't believe me, look it up!