[CT Birds] Norwalk Oystercatchers

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Tue Sep 13 22:31:10 EDT 2011

09/13/11 Norwalk Islands.
1-2PM by boat

Cockenoe Island 6 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS
Crow Island       53 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS

59 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS total on the two islands.
Crow Island is between Chimmons Is. and Copps Is. it is the above high tide part of the bar that runs between the two islands.
Crow Is has been the general oystercatcher staging point for the past several years, this year they have been spending most of their time on Cockenoe Is, as per Tina, me, and others.
These large numbers will start to diminish in the next few weeks as they disperse to areas south of us.
Note: The Tern nesting sandbar at Cockenoe was hit hard by Irene, I'll post something on that soon.

Larry Flynn
Norwalk