[CT Birds] Shorebird hunting in the Carribean

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Sep 15 10:45:44 EDT 2011

The issues of conservation/protection of natural resources are complex. That is not equivocating, they just are. We are faced with economic stresses, philosophical differences, traditional differences, illegal exploitations, and more. Consequently the solutions have to be multifaceted, and often take time to come into effect. As individuals we can make a difference through supporting organizations such as CT Audubon and COA, and supporting specific efforts made by respected conservation organizations. It is also very effective to directly contact elected officials (regardless of how you feel about them) and clearly express your concerns about conservation/environmental issues. But the best thing anyone can do to help in the long term is to get involved with educating children about the natural world (I tip my hat here to Flo McBride). The biggest positive changes will come through education leading to cultural shifts.

Specifically regarding this issue, I agree 100% with Twan's advice, which I take the liberty to quote here:

 "I would suggest you contact any of the organizations involved (although TNC, and perhaps Manomet, may be the ones who can most effectively convert your voice into lobbying action) and indicate that you support any steps they can take to stop this senseless slaughter." - TL

Dave Provencher

P.S. I think we all know the quote: "Be the change you want to see in the world." As far as quotes go, that is a (insert expletive here) good one.

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.