[CT Birds] Reading 9

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Fri Sep 16 07:05:42 EDT 2011

Reading 9
Downy Woodpecker

If there is already a hollow in the tree of small size it is enlarged
to the required dimensions in a remarkably short space of time, but
still the housewife seems to entertain some doubt about matters in
general, and wastes more time “poking around”! Wilson seems to
approve of this questionable vigilance and remarks as follows:
“Before she begins to lay, the female passes in and out, examines
every part, both of the exterior and interior, with great attention ,
as every prudent tenant of a new house ought to do, and at length
takes complete possession”

Such good carpenters as these deserve a better name, but it is ever
the case that mankind sums up the character of the bird in a trivial
manner and labels him flippantly! Indeed sometimes we are not above
cracking a joke on the label. It is in The Spenders, I believe, that
the farmer tells of his economical experiment in feeding his setting
hen on sawdust and finishing with the statement that of the thirteen
eggs hatched out, twelve produced chickens with wooden legs and the
thirteenth a woodpecker! Alas for the carpenter-bird, he is not
appreciated; he carves his home in the heart to the apple tree,
smoothes the its sides with the skill of a cabinetmaker, taps at the
door of every insect that lives in the vicinity with a summons as
inexorable as that of the Great Destroyer, and drums a rolling tattoo
on a resonant limb or telegraph pole in a master fashion that would
“beat the band”

The Downy differs from Woodpeckers in general; he is a sociable chap,
for I notice he is always around when a flock of Chickadees and a
Nuthatch or two are inspecting the old apple trees on the grounds.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield