[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Hawkwatch, 9-16-11

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 18:32:44 EDT 2011

When I left at 3:15 the action had pretty much stopped,  but Counter Tony
Hager had recorded almost 3100 Broadwinged Hawks, along with  over 350
Sharp-shinned Hawks and a total of at least 3600 birds.
The Broadwings and overall total are the highest I've ever  seen. All the
Broadwings were recorded between about 1 and 2:30 PM and probably  represent
a fraction of the actual total number present. Even with a good crew  on
hand it was impossible to count or even see them all. Almost every "kettle"  or
flock consisted of hundreds of hawks, with a few Bald Eagles and Osprey
mixed  in.The birds were almost all high and far and very difficult to spot in
a sky  with few clouds.
Last year the high count for the year was recorded on Sept.  15th, but the
Broadwing total was almost doubled today, I'm sure there were far  more
birds today than last year. Broadwinged Hawks from a particular area tend  to
move in large groups at the same time, and today was likely the biggest
migration day of the season. However, there may still be considerable numbers in
the coming days at both Lighthouse and Quaker Ridge, as well as some of the
 smaller Ct watches. Best days are with strong winds from the northwest as
we had  today.
Don Morgan, Coventry

"Think, every morning when the sun peeps through
The dim, leaf-latticed windows of the grove,
How jubilant the happy birds renew
Their old, melodious madrigals of love!"
H.W.  Longfellow