[CT Birds] Chestnut Hill (Litchfield) hawk watch, broad-winged hawks picking up

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 16 20:50:55 EDT 2011

After the cold front yesterday we had high expectations for broad-winged hawks at the Chestnut Hill hawk watch in Litchfield today (16 Sept). The broad-wingeds (BW) hawks came through but never in any big numbers today. Our tally was 387 BW's, higher then the Middle School hawk watch in Torrington but lower then the Botsford Hill hawk watch in Bridgewater. We also had one bald eagle, one osprey, and four sharp-shinned hawks. The BW's were high and came by fast on set wings mostly. No big "kettles" of BW's. The biggest 'kettle' was 40 or so. I am amazed at the over 8,000 BW's reported in Straford today. Look out Quaker Ridge in Greenwich on Saturday (17 Sept). We still have hopes for higher numbers of BW's at Chestnut Hill over the upcoming weekend.

David W Babington
Washington, CT