[CT Birds] East Granby Connecticut Warbler

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 18:39:55 EDT 2011

My apologies, I thought I had sent this before but apparently not ...

>From Jamie Meyers:
9/18 -- East Granby, Hartford Audubon's Greenstone Hollow preserve: CONNECTICUT WARBLER.  The bird appeared to be a first-year to me.
Windsor, Windsor Meadows behind Loomis Chaffee school -- LINCOLN'S SPARROW, many mosquitoes
Windsor Locks, Spring Park -- NASHVILLE WARBLER with a small but relatively decent collection of other southbound migrants.
Canton, Barbourtown Road -- female NORTHERN PINTAIL, found originally by Jay Kaplan on Wednesday.

The CT Warbler was in a bush on the north side of the preserve, very near a tree with orange tape around it and a vine with red leaves.  This tree is is pretty much at a T intersection in one of the maze-like paths in the preserve.  There was a large Willow visible about 100 yards beyond the wetland sort of to the right.  I crossed a makeshift bridge probably about 200 yards or so shy of this spot.  The bird was in the same bush as a Common Yellowthroat, making for a neat contrast.  This is only my second well-seen CT Warbler in 17 years of birding.  Can I get an Amen! from the choir?

I spent much of the day birding in shubby, thicketedy areas and found the going generally slow, though any day that features Buff-breasted Sandpiper (as reported already by Jay) and Connecticut Warbler is not bad at all.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT