[CT Birds] Goshawk observation

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 20 13:51:41 EDT 2011

Had an interesting Goshawk observation this morning, if you care to read it

 I went out to fly my Carrier pigeons (false name for Homing pigeons, though I,
Paul Carrier own them) and i hear many Jays scolding something near. Then in
comes 3 Crows to ad their help to the jays. i look up into a dead tree near my
loft, and there, perched at the top is a very large female GOSHAWK !   I scream
and hit a pail to shoo it off the tree and she flies a short way into the woods.
The three crows pursue,  perching just below her. In time, the Goshawk dives
down after a crow, chasing it then landing again in same tree. The crows grow
silent, but now smartly perch above her.

Again, the Goshawk flies up and chases a crow, but this time she is grabbing at
it with her talons! She does this three more times till the crows fly off a
distance perched at the top of a tree. The Gos is now alone in her tree, and I
need to go out shopping.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton