[CT Birds] Amazing sight in Canaan today.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 21:01:21 EDT 2011

I was driving west bound on Rt 44 in East Canaan today about 10  am when I
saw a Red-tail and 2 Black Vultures flying very purposefully south  across
the road. BV are often seen in Canaan, and I see 2 in the same area  almost
every time I go through there. When I looked out to the corn  fields in the
valley I saw a very large kettle of raptors. There was no wind and  it was
very tight, going all the way from just above the ground up to a misty  cloud
over the valley. (Sky was mostly sunny with fog patches then).I was able  to
pull over quickly in a good spot and had a good but somewhat distant look
at  the birds.
When I did I realized that many of them were Black  Vultures. I counted 61
birds in the kettle but there were more that I couldn't  see at one time. An
actual count was 26 Black Vultures, but I'm betting there  were more than
50. I did not spot a single Turkey Vulture, even though there are  many in
the area. There were a few buteos mixed in, mostly at the top of the  kettle,
and I counted 6 Common ravens hanging around the outside of the column,
another bird often seen in Canaan, though more often up on the mountain. I am
assuming that most of the BV were migrants, since the most I have seen there
 before at one time is 4.
I also saw 1 Raven and 2 BV today when on the  west cliffs of Canaan Mtn
and 1 Peregrine Falcon, heading due south and possibly  migrating. I've never
seen one in the area before.

Don  Morgan
Coventry