[CT Birds] Reading the weather tea leaves

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 24 08:54:38 EDT 2011

It appears to me that the current weather pattern and predicted weather over
the northeast will not create an easily defined big migration event in CT.
The conditions to our north will be good for movement while the conditions
here in CT will be contrary. The wind direction/atmospheric conditions will
not be uniform over the region, northwest winds and clear skies are
predicted for the north while southerly and easterly winds with clouds and
precipitation are predicted for the south (read Ct). This may produce a
flight into CT that then hits blocking weather and puts down here, creating
the possibility of good pockets of birds around CT, particularly Monday
morning. So it's worth being out and about over the next few days and I
would not be surprised if some CT birders find very nice mixed feeding
flocks, particularly at "traps" like wooded parks and coastal or urban
habitat patches.

While I see no clear cut big migration event for CT over the next week, an
interesting possibility is Thursday night/Friday morning, but the wind
direction is forecast as light out of the west, which if correct will be bad
for the Bluff Point morning flight phenomena.

Regarding the Finch forecast that Alex posted to CTBirds, I can personally
attest to a pretty good cone crop in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England