[CT Birds] 3 more DICKCISSELS; Whimbrel, Skimmers, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 24 12:47:47 EDT 2011

9/24  Stratford.  I found 3 more DICKCISSELS in Stratford this morning.

-Short Beach (Dorne Drive), 7:30 am - adult female Dickcissel - drive to back
end of golf course lot.  It was in the weeds near the dirt and sand piles, along
with numbers of Savannah Sparrows and 1 Blackpoll Warbler.  Along the beach at
high tide were 17 Red Knots among the Black-bellied Plovers and Sanderlings.
- Town Community Garden (Connors Lane), 1:30-12:10.  Two Dickcissels  among
overgrown garden plots - 1 immature male, 1 adult female.  Also 2 Bobolinks and
lots of Song and House Sparrows.

9/24 Milford, Milford Point, 8:30-10:45 am (in part with Julian Hough's Sunrise
Birding Shorebird trip) - 1 Whimbrel, 2 American Golden Plovers (juv.), 15 Red
Knots (same ones from Stratford), 2 immature Peregrine Falcons repeatedly
aerially harassing shorebirds, skimmers, and even a Cormorant; 2 Northern
Harriers, Cooper's Hawk, RED FOX.  Sean, refuge warden of US Fish & Wildlife
told me he talked with a Stratford Tackle shop guy who saw a PELICAN (Brown?)
fly up river a few days ago.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford