[CT Birds] Weather/migration

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sat Sep 24 21:40:22 EDT 2011

We have a stationary front around the SE corner of Connecticut, just off it now. This front will have a surface low ride up it to give us more precipitation, and we're still keyed in to tropical moisture once again. This should be less than predicted hopefully. The big and great point tonight is...this front cleared us well, and is further off us than I thought it would (was probably going to stall over us), and we have a little high near Lake Ontario. This is providing some of the "best" (this is a very relative term) migration conditions we've had in a week (calm winds, no rain) so while we've had movement despite the conditions, there a lot of birds are in the air tonight. It may even allow some hawks, assuming we can avoid some rain, to move tomorrow or more likely Monday, especially if we can burn off early fog with some sunshine. I think that may work out very well before the winds flip badly and more rain comes in. They've been backed up, too, so I'm surmising a few might start getting the itch and take the best chance they can get.

So yes, this will be a difficult week for birds, but it's difficult to forecast and far beyond rain and bad winds. We have chances. The devil is in the details and you have to look behind the simple forecasts. Sneaky good times will be available. We will finally clear the decks with a weak cold front Weds/Thurs and a strong cold front around Friday. Please...

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr St.
Fairfield, CT 06824
CAS blog: ctaudubon.blogspot.com
CAS Twitter: twitter.com/CTAudubon
Email: skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org

More information about the CTBirds mailing list