[CT Birds] Bluff Point - good flight this AM 9/25

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 12:30:56 EDT 2011

from Phil Rusch and Glenn Williams:
9/25 - Groton, Bluff Point -- 12 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES, 1 GRAY--CHEEKED THRUSH sp., BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, 3 PHILADELPHIA VIREO, BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, BROWN THRASHER 550 total birds, 200 warblers of 12 species
Mystic yard - PURPLE FINCH

We didn't foresee any kind of morning flight with the winds as they were, so birded elsewhere until stopping by Bluff Point at 8:10am, when the morning flight would normally be winding down.  Birds were streaming steadily out of the "hot corner" and continued until 9:45.  I hate to think what we missed from dawn until we arrived.  There was absolutely no wind when we arrived - not conducive to any kind of morning flight.  Complete list below.

Non-birding note - last weekend a mountain biker was completely rude for no reason at all.  Today a man was parked at the "hot corner" with (not so good) jazz blaring from the radio while he played along with a saxophone.  We figured we would be moving along soon so didn't bother to talk to the guy.   Who knew we were in for an hour and a half of sonic assault.  What's in store for the next flight day - angry drunken circus clowns?

Double-crested Cormorant  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Herring Gull  20
Mourning Dove  15
Black-billed Cuckoo  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  8
Northern Flicker  4
Eastern Wood-Pewee  14
Empidonax sp.  1     "Trail's"
Eastern Phoebe  3
White-eyed Vireo  2
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Philadelphia Vireo  3
Red-eyed Vireo  160     An excellent flight day for Red-eyed Vireo.
Blue Jay  115
American Crow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  15
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  1
Veery  4
Gray-cheeked/Bicknell's Thrush  1
Swainson's
 Thrush  12     All seen well - may have been undercounted as about five
 (max seen at once) were hanging out at the "hot corner" plus one flew
out, so we did not add to that total for the rest of the morning.  We
saw four together feeding on pokeberry inside the park and then saw at
least two more at a different location.
American Robin  12
thrush sp.  2
Gray Catbird  6