[CT Birds] Pine Creek, Fairfield - Philly, YT Vireos +

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sun Sep 25 16:48:30 EDT 2011

Spent a very enjoyable couple hours at Pine Creek. Here are the good parts of my ebird report as I'm short for time:

Northern Harrier  1     A beautiful bird; drifted slowly by and over the railroad bridge into the marsh beyond.
Eastern Phoebe   1     My second of the season.
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO   1     Getting late-gorgeous bird seen near the Old Dam Road entrance to the Open Space, past the soccer fields.
Blue-headed Vireo   1     Seen a little down the path from the Yellow-throated, right where the Philly was seen.
PHILADELPHIA VIREO  1     Seen between the end of the baseball field and the entrance to the open space right before the point. A gorgeous bird with its "squinting" expression and yellow throat.
Red-eyed Vireo  5     2 birds near the landfill and 3 providing incredible looks right near the Yellow-throated.
House Wren   2
American Robin   40
Gray Catbird   45
Northern Mockingbird   8
Common Yellowthroat   24
American Redstart   4
Blackpoll Warbler  1     My FOS Blackpoll.
Palm Warbler (Western)   1     My FOS Palm Warb.
Pine Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler   5     Nice group of birds in two groups out on the point. Like the WTSP, harbingers of the approaching season!
warbler sp.   1     Yellowthroat-Oporornis-type warbler (CT/Mourning, COYE), probably COYE
Song Sparrow   23
White-throated Sparrow  1     My second of the season, first not in a banding net. Heralding a fast-approaching time!
Indigo Bunting   5     My highest count for Pine Creek, all concentrated near the road leading up to the landfill. The birds included a gorgeous molting adult male.

Alex Burdo