[CT Birds] Boothe Park 9/25

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sun Sep 25 19:02:36 EDT 2011

I spent only 3.5 hours solo at Boothe Park today and came up with an interesting mix of 148 raptors. It started off slowly but increased each hour, with 87 going over between 12-1 before I left to relax and enjoy the NFL all day. I think things may have slowed shortly after that anyway.

Raptor migrants:
Osprey  5
Northern Harrier  8
Sharp-shinned Hawk  91
Cooper's Hawk  18
Broad-winged Hawk  21
GOLDEN EAGLE  1
Merlin  5
TOTAL - 148

Southbound migrants included:
Chimney Swift  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Tree Swallow  43
Barn Swallow  1
Cedar Waxwing  237
DICKCISSEL  1

Migrants in the park included:
American Redstart  1
Northern Parula  1
Palm Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  1
Several unID'd warblers and more

The raptor flight was great in that most birds went right over at moderate levels providing good prolonged views like the previously-described Golden. I had several more warblers and other migrants while hawk watching as they flew around the park or stayed high in trees, ending up unidentified since I was alone. I'm so glad what I mentioned last night came to fruition today as many birds popped up all over and the hawks were able to get a good flight in, finally, in neutral-ish conditions with the slightest of NW flows from that little high. Nice obs everyone. I'm expecting tonight/tomorrow could play out in a similar, maybe lesser, way with perhaps decent nocturnal and diurnal flights. Keep em coming.

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society