[CT Birds] non-birding observation

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 20:22:06 EDT 2011

While birding at the Birch Plain Creek Preserve in Groton with Phil Rusch this morning, we observed a squirrel swimming across the creek - 250 feet of brackish water.  Within a half hour, we saw another one doing the same thing.  With a little research, I found that squirrels can swim up to two miles in calm water, but generally don't swim unless there are food shortages and they are undergoing large migrations.  This makes sense as last year was a mast year for acorns.  It also seems as though there have been a lot of squirrels walking around lately.

Glenn Williams