[CT Birds] non-birding observation

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 25 20:35:47 EDT 2011

Glenn I read many years ago historical accounts of large migrations by
squirrels, and mass crossings of large rivers like the Connecticut during
these movements. These accounts were by hunters who found the abundance of
the squirrels so great that they would take barrels to fill with their
harvest. I have also read accounts of deer swimming Long Island Sound. I
always found this incredible till one day during an October past when I was
birding Harkness Park in Waterford. I was scanning the Sound and spotted
something odd about a half mile out. I watched it as it slowly approached
and I wondered what manner of creature it could be. After some time I
realized it was the head of a White-tailed deer. The deer finally reached
the rocks by Camp Harkness and climbed out looking exhausted. After a bit of
a breather it wandered inland. I do not know where the deer entered the
water, only that it was a good half mile out and headed northward when I
spotted it. As WS wrote, "There are more things in heaven and earth than are
dreamt of..." etc etc.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England