[CT Birds] Hammo Herons

John Oshlick john.oshlic at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 14:45:38 EDT 2011

I went up to Hammo to look for the odd appearing tricolored heron. I found two birds that matched Mark Szantyr's description.

I had gone up to see the tricolored herons in mid august and saw three tricolored herons that were abnormally white. I didn't make much of it at the time because I really had little experience with juv tricolored herons (other than the 09 Hammo juv tricolored that I also saw). I just noted that they did not match the pictures in the guides. Hopefully Mark can get to the bottom of this. I really just wanted to pass on that there is more than one bird that looks like this. If they are hybrids they are likely all from the same pairing.

John Oshlick
Hamden