[CT Birds] FW: LHP Red-headed Woodpecker

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 26 20:35:27 EDT 2011

>From Dave Provencher
9/26/11 Waterford, Millstone Point - 1 COMMON NIGHTHAWK

As I was leaving work tonight I noticed a flock of Laughing Gulls
laconically hawking insects over a grassy field by the edge of Niantic Bay.
I also noticed a number of swallows hawking much higher above. As I was
looking at the swallows I noticed a Common Nighthawk winging its way
westward over the bay. My attention returned to the gulls as I was curious
about what they were feeding on, and I also wanted to check to make sure a
stealth Franklin's Gull wasn't in the mix. Walking into the area the flock
was swirling about, I couldn't see any insects other than a few mosquitoes.
It must have been this paltry flight that was attracting them. The gulls
were nearly all first years, and needless to say there were no Franklin's