[CT Birds] Boothe Park 9/26

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Mon Sep 26 21:17:12 EDT 2011

I spent 1.75 hours hawk watching at Boothe Park in Stratford this morning. I'll send the full account of this afternoon's craziness at Stratford Point shortly. Hawks were moving OK but I had to move on with the day after counting 20 raptors. I'm sure I missed more than usual as I was happily watching many songbird migrants.

Raptor migrants:
Osprey 7
Sharp-shinned Hawk 8
Copper's Hawk 1
American Kestrel 1
Merlin 2
PEREGRINE FALCON 1
TOTAL: 20

Southbound migrants included:
Chimney Swift 8
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Cedar Waxwing 31
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 1 - was heading WSW until it landed in the dead tree and decided to hawk insects. FOS of hopefully many butter butts to fly by soon.
BOBOLINK 3

Migrants in the park included:
Eastern Phoebe 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
TENNESSEE WARBLER 1 - with REVI and NAWA near chicken coop/outline of destroyed greenhouse
Nashville Warbler 1
Common Yellowthroat 2
Northern Parula 1
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER 1