[CT Birds] Stratford Point YB CHAT photos/video/other migrants

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Mon Sep 26 21:30:59 EDT 2011

Here are photos and a short HD video of the Yellow-breasted Chat: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/2011/09/yellow-breasted-chat-at-stratford-point.html

It was very cooperative, easily approachable if you're quiet enough and move slowly. I've seen a few and these were by far the best and most prolonged views I've ever had of one. It was in and along the fence to the left of the entrance to Stratford Point the entire time we watched it, and we left it there. Even if you stop by and the gate is closed, you'll have a chance of seeing the Chat just like the Clay-colored Sparrow of the past since you can walk along or look at this fence from the street. Today's Clay-colored Sparrow was on the ground and perching in shrubs and trees behind the garage and near the driveway, but that's also worth looking for in spots where they typically are at Stratford Point, like the fence and the corner of the property.

As for the back story, when I went outside for an afternoon survey migrants were everywhere. Twan noticed activity this morning but did not have time to check them all out. Here's what we found when we did, primarily concentrated in the trees behind the clubhouse, to the pines along the driveway, the Coast Guard property along ours on the right side of the entrance coming in and our fence going to the left:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Eastern Phoebe  5
Red-eyed Vireo  1
House Wren  2
Swainson's Thrush  1
Gray Catbird  4
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Nashville Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  7
Northern Parula  4
Magnolia Warbler  1
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER  1
Yellow Warbler  1
Blackpoll Warbler  2
Palm Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  1
Prairie Warbler  1
YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT  1
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW  1
Savannah Sparrow  7
Song Sparrow  3
LINCOLN'S SPARROW  1
White-throated Sparrow  1
BOBOLINK  6

Also 5 RED KNOT, and a NORTHERN HARRIER and AMERICAN KESTREL were on patrol. This morning Twan thought of finding a Clay-colored Sparrow and a few hours later I did. This afternoon we discussed finding a Yellow-breasted Chat and an hour later I said "Twan!" quietly but excitedly as we were walking and tallying birds left and right, and he knew immediately what I had seen without another word. So if you have any orders we'll try to fill them. Good luck if you stop by!

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society