[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Some raptors and cool Merlin observation

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 22:50:38 EDT 2011

Dave,

Funny, but I was going to reply to Luke with an anecdote about how Merlins are just pesky birds and mention one attacking a GB Heron just for the heck of it.  I knew I read it somewhere but couldn't find it in a couple of likely sources.  I guess it must have been from you.  I also remember reading somewhere that if you see a small falcon being mobbed amongst a flock of swallows, it is a kestrel.  If it is given a wide berth, creating a hole in the sparrow flock, it is a Merlin.

Glenn