[CT Birds] Salt Meadow Philly & more

Anthony Zemba Anthony.Zemba at gza.com
Wed Sep 28 09:15:32 EDT 2011

Hard to top the great look at the Philly Vireo
But also in addition to the spp. mentioned by Patrick at Salt Meadow unit yesterday morning was the following:
Brown Thrasher
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Eastern Wood Peewee
Eastern Phoebe
One young Turkey Vulture sitting atop the USFWS HQ building.

All before 0830 hrs.

In afternoon, spotted from Route 1 perched on a piling in the Menunketesuck estuary: Little Blue Heron

At Hammo around 4:30 - 5:00: Nature Center Parking Lot:
1 Golden Plover with 7 Black Bellied Plovers offering great comparative looks until a Merlin decided the show was over and chased them all out (but was also nice to see the differences between the two plover species in flight).

2 Tri-colored x Little Blue Herons (or whatever the committee determines them to be)

A note on the latter: There certainly is much white in the wings of these birds and the legs are noticeably greener than the Tricolors I am used to seeing. I was only afforded distal views earlier this summer. Yesterday, the birds were in the pool to the east of and adjacent to the parking lot affording excellent views. Patrick took photos through the persistent coastal fog.

Anthony Zemba CHMM
Certified Ecologist / Soil Scientist
GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.

655 Winding Brook Drive