[CT Birds] Salt Meadow Philly & more

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Sep 28 09:59:47 EDT 2011

"2 Tri-colored x Little Blue Herons (or whatever the committee determines them to be)"

Whoa Anthony! Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'd hate to have anyone assume we could determine anything beyond an argument for "probability" of specific origin. I have only taken the briefest of looks at the photos at this point and even though I'm leaning one way, I have a completely open mind on them. Beyond the fact they look pretty interesting of course. There is documented cross breeding between Tricolored Heron and Snowy Egret to consider among other possibilities as well. However, short of genetic determination (and that might not fully answer the question either), and lacking any direct observation of interspecific mating and nesting, the best the committee is likely to produce after doing some research and study is a strong argument.

2 Tri-colored x Little Blue Herons (or whatever the committee determines them to be)

A note on the latter: There certainly is much white in the wings of these birds and the legs are noticeably greener than the Tricolors I am used to seeing. I was only afforded distal views earlier this summer. Yesterday, the birds were in the pool to the east of and adjacent to the parking lot affording excellent views. Patrick took photos through the persistent coastal fog.

Anthony Zemba CHMM
Certified Ecologist / Soil Scientist
GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.