[CT Birds] blackburian warbler and migration

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 30 17:02:58 EDT 2011

With regards to the Blackburnian Warbler, no it isn't late for a first fall.
With the exception of Yellow-rumped Warbler (and probably eastern
Orange-crowned) most individuals off all the eastern warbler species have
passed CT by now. BUT, there are quite a few still to go, and the only
species that would be quite notably latish now would be Cerulean,
Blue-winged, Louisiana Waterthrush, and couple others. Individuals of some
species (again excluding Yellow-rumped which is our "winter" warbler) are
found right into December and later. Come to think of it, "Winter Warbler"
might not be a bad name for Yellow-rumped. I'd prefer to not carry a moniker
that referred to my derriere, but that's just me.

As for the migration picture, with specific regard to the Bluff Point
phenomena, the weather has not fallen right for a really big show there so
far this year. I am looking at next Friday (the 7th) and Saturday (the 8th)
with interest. There may be a big show looming then. At this point it will
be heavily dominated by Yellow-rumped Warblers, Blackpoll Warblers, and
Kinglets, but smaller numbers of many other species will no doubt be in the
mix. It could be quite a flight and I'll be watching conditions closely. If
the conditions fall as they currently look to, it will be quite a flight all
the way around, including raptors.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England