[CT Birds] RT Hummer

mcavallero1 at comcast.net mcavallero1 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 09:56:59 EDT 2011

Saturday 10/1/11 - 9 am

Spotted a juvenile male RT hummer at my honeysuckle this morning.   This i believe is a record late date for me in my backyard.  i looked hard to make sure it didnt have alot of orange on it,  but it was definitely an RT.   my honeysuckle (domestic hybrids that are  a brilliant scarlet red and not invasive but bloom all summer and now into the fall) are a huge draw for the hummers - they are constantly feeding from them and so far these honeysuckles are still blooming with more flowers to come.    glad i have a source of nectar for these migrating visitors.   they feed like crazy and when done or taking a rest,  they sit on the branches of the vine!

Mona Cavallero