[CT Birds] Larsen Sanctuary warblers fallout

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sat Oct 1 15:24:31 EDT 2011

Ok, so maybe it wasn't a fallout, but it was the best fall migration warbler experience I've ever had in Fairfield, mostly just because all of the following birds were in one massive feeding flock of birds moving the trees. I followed them for about 45 mins and couldn't get enough of all the little warblers. I'm so glad I decided to check the woods after going there to pick up my birdseed for the fall bird seed sale.

1 Barred Owl (heard calling in the distance)
1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo (the definite highlight, only my 2nd time seeing one)
3 Downy Woodpeckers
3 Red-bellied Woodpeckers
2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers
2 Red-eyed Vireos
1 Blue-headed Vireo
6 Black-capped Chickadees
10 Tufted Titmice
4 White-breasted Nuthatches
1 Tennessee Warbler
7 Northern Parulas
3 Chestnut-sided Warblers
5 Magnolia Warblers
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
5 Black-throated Green Warblers
1 Pine Warbler
1 Bay-breasted Warbler
1 Blackpoll Warbler
2 Black-and-white Warblers
1 American Redstart

Also interesting was a massive flock of around 500 Common Grackles that moved through creating quite a ruckus in the forest.

James Purcell