[CT Birds] Stratford bits 10/2

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 2 20:37:12 EDT 2011

>From Frank Mantlik

10/2  Stratford, McKinney NWR (Great Meadows Unit) - I lead a walk here 9am-noon
as part of the Stratford Bird Festival.  About 25 people enjoyed views of 41
species with these highlights:  Pied-billed Grebe, Little Blue Heron (imm.), Am.
Kestrel eating a praying mantis, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, 2 Marsh Wrens, Brown
Thrasher, 2 Eastern Towhees, 5 White-throated Sparrows (my first of fall).

Other highlights I had around town today:
- Greenway / Avco Cove (Beacon Point Rd.) w/ Linda M. and Moccios - American
Bittern (flying of Milford Point marsh), adult Peregrine Falcon, Yellow Warbler

- Stratford Marina dock, high tide - adult LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, 6 Short-billed
Dowitcher, 130 Greater Yellowlegs, 6 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Dunlin, 8 Semipalmated
Sandpipers, 2 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.

- Community Garden (Connors Lane) - Solitary Sandpiper,  Tennessee Warbler,
Marsh Wren, Lincoln's Sparrow, 2-3 Indigo Buntings, 16 Monk Parakeets, (and
possible Orange-crowned Warbler).

- home/yard with wife Linda - 2 Ruby-throated hummingbirds, Eastern Screech-Owl
calling 7:10pm.

Eastern Phoebes and Gray Catbirds were numerous everywhere today.