[CT Birds] Cerulean Warbler Question

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Oct 3 13:14:03 EDT 2011

Wow, that is an interesting set of numbers. Considering CT has roughly 3,000 square miles of forest (as of 2010), and not all forest is ideal for Acadian Flycatchers, those numbers imply a density of more than 3 Acadian Flycatchers per square mile of CT forest. Reports from birders, but mainly my own experience in hiking hundreds of miles per year in CT, do not support such a density. I believe I encountered only three total while hiking many forested locations in CT this past summer. In my twenty plus years of birding in CT I have not encountered that density level over a significant area of forest. I would very much be interested in the bases used for that numeric statement.

Dave