[CT Birds] Cerulean Warbler Question

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 3 19:38:41 EDT 2011

Perhaps one of the best sources of information on this is the CT Breeding Bird Atlas.  Yes, it's now 15 - 20 years old but the work contained therein was the result of a search for breeders that was as intensive as any ever attempted in CT.  At that time, Ceruleans were definitely found in 9 blocks and suspected in 30 more, for a total of 39 blocks, which is 6.5% of the entire survey.  Acadians were confirmed in 19 and considered possible in 42 more for a total of 61, or 10.2% of all blocks.  It has been my experience in that time that Ceruleans may have increased a slight amount and Acadians have been stable, give or take a little. Even if the breeding bird atlas missed significant populations, I think the numbers presented in the booklet are grossly overstated.  River Road is thought to have, what 30 pairs of Ceruleans?  Are there 200 more River Roads in CT where Ceruleans are flourishing?

If so, let me know where they are too.  I need it for a bunch of town lists in this state.  Ditto for the Acadian.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT