[CT Birds] Prediction for Bluff Point morning flight event

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Oct 4 16:41:39 EDT 2011

Well if the weather/surface winds fall out as predicted, Thursday morning should produce a significant morning flight event at the "hot corner" at Bluff Point Coastal Reserve in Groton. Making this even more likely is the fact that Thursday is the only day this week that I can not be there (Just kidding, or am I?) There MIGHT be a bit of a morning flight there tomorrow (Wednesday) depending on how broken tonight's precip is and how many birds try moving tonight. If the surface wind forecast for Friday is correct, there won't be a morning flight event at Bluff Friday morning despite the likelihood of another good migration Thursday night, but I'll be watching for any changes.

The next big flight of songbirds should be heavily dominated by Yellow-rumped and Blackpoll Warblers as well as White-throated Sparrows, but there will be lesser numbers of many other species. I'd also expect a good show of Flickers and a decent chance for an Orange-crowned Warbler or two.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.