[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 275

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Oct 5 11:27:41 EDT 2011

Southport Survey # 275

Between the hurricane, holiday and crappy weather, it has been hard
to get into a rhythm of doing the survey. Hopefully that is past

The tide was high, Sunken Island covered. The water was calm. The sky
was clear with a breeze out of the east.

Off shore there were the 2 loons and some cormorants feeding. I find
the cormorant situation interesting. I normally expect to see them
near shore and up rivers feeding in groups on schooling fish. The
single birds I see in the middle of the sound are more loon-like in
behavior. Have the cormorants become so common that them may now be
competing with the loons? On the shore at Beach Rd where I view
Sunken Island were 2 Ruddy Turnstones and the Brant, which was early
by 2 week.

The golf course was interesting, there was a Great and a Snowy Egret
on one of the greens. They were standing so still, that at first,
they looked lawn ornaments. The other odd sight was the Pied-billed
Grebe in the larger pond. This is the first time for this species in

At Southport Beach. the egrets were again scattered about. All the
Laughing Gulls were resting on the beaches. The obvious decline in
number reflects the weather. I have often seen large numbers on
beaches during bad weather only to find a fraction the next day.

There was some hawk movement. I had 3 Ospreys, 1 Harrier, and a Red-
tailed Hawk.

Dennis Varza

DATE	9/18	9/28	10/02	10/05
Tide	Falling	Rising	Low_	High