[CT Birds] "Parade of Raptors" Grass Island, Greenwich

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Wed Oct 5 14:47:15 EDT 2011

I wasn't hawk-watching per se but during my lunchtime walk through Grass Island, Greenwich, I had a "parade of raptors"; precisely ONE each of the following species:  KESTREL, BROAD-WINGED HAWK, COOPERS HAWK, SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, BALD EAGLE, and one RED-SHOULDERED HAWK harassing one of the two RED-TAILED HAWKs (or did I count the same bird twice?).  There was also one OSPREY fishing over the harbor.  The Bald Eagle was an adult and was moving north.

Most of the warblers that had been around appear to have moved on with little to replace them, the exception being two BLACK-THROATED GREENS which offered the finest close-up view I've ever had of these beautiful birds (inspiration for a painting?).  Sparrows are beginning to build, there being one SAVANNAH SPARROW, one WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, and several WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS joining the usual SONG SPARROWS.

In the shallows behind the yacht club were two GREAT BLUE HERONs, one GREAT EGRET, and a SNOWY EGRET, with plenty of MALLARDS and BLACK DUCKS.

-Sean Murtha

www.seanmurthaart.com