[CT Birds] Fairfield - Pine Creek: YB CUCKOO, YB CHAT+

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 16:01:18 EDT 2011

A great late morning/early afternoon of birding yielded a nice diversity of migrants at South Pine Creek. Although the birding was excellent, it was definitely frustrating at times due to the almost constant wind gusts. Highlights/migrants below:

Pine Creek:

1 Little Blue Heron -- Young bird seen well next to two Snowys next to the bridge
1 YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO -- Awesome. Perhaps the bird of the day. Seen well but briefly in the woods behind the ballfield by the Old Dam Football Field Entrance.
1 Hairy Woodpecker
2 Eastern Phoebe
3 Red-eyed Vireo
5 Gray Catbird
27 Common Yellowthroat
4 American Redstart
1 Magnolia Warbler
11 Blackpoll Warbler
1 (Western) Palm Warbler
60+ Yellow-rumped Warbler
2 Black-throated Green Warbler
1 YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT-- Near the trail leading to the top of the landfill
3 Eastern Towhee
35 Song Sparrow
20 Swamp Sparrow
55 White-throated Sparrow
4 Indigo Bunting

In my opinion, Pine Creek is one of the best (fall especially) birding sites in Fairfield. The site combines salt marsh, open field, extensive shrubby areas, pockets of deciduous wood and open water. I have had a great time birding here over the years and look forward to many more awesome days birding at Pine Creek.

I also gave Ash Creek and the Jennings Beach Plot a stop, both of which were fairly quiet besides the overwhelming numbers of Yellow-rumped Warblers as well as a few Song, White-throated and Swamp Sparrows and Common Yellowthroats at each.

Alex Burdo