[CT Birds] Bluff Point

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 5 19:49:02 EDT 2011

Bluff Point was hopping when I arrived (a bit late) at 7 this morning.  Unfortunately, the flow dwindled  fast, although there were still a few warblers and flickers going through when I left.

Most warblers went unidentified, but I was able to pull a couple of goodies from those I really got to look at.  The golden-winged was in the woods near the hot corner, but moving fast, and not looking like there was much chance of it sticking around.  The orange-crowned was teed up at the corner for a few seconds only.  Notably, fewer of the "late" species than I expected, but more red-bellied woodpecker than I remember ever seeing moving (Dave/Glenn/Phil - is my memory just failing?).

Highlights: pied-billed grebe (2), sharp-shinned hawk (1), red-bellied woodpecker (23), yellow-shafted flicker (175), eastern phoebe (6), Myarchius sp. (1 - presumably great crested, but who knows?), blue-headed vireo (1), red-eyed vireo (4), winter wren (1), golden-crowned kinglet (1), GLODEN-WINGED (1 female), black-and-white (2), Tennessee (1), orange-crowned (1), Nashville (2), redstart (1), parula (9), chestnut-sided (1), blackpoll (9), b-t blue (6), western palm (1), backlit palm (1), myrtle (13 - surprisingly few, given the date and overall numbers), b-t green (3), warbler sp. (450 - based on calls, very few were y-rumps), eastern towhee (20), dark-eyed junco (1), white-throated sparrow (25), scarlet tanager (3).

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net