[CT Birds] Boothe Park 10/5

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Wed Oct 5 19:53:03 EDT 2011

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 05, 2011
Turkey Vulture  8
Osprey  20
Bald Eagle  6
Northern Harrier  4
Sharp-shinned Hawk  225
Cooper's Hawk  31
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Broad-winged Hawk  3
Red-tailed Hawk  13
American Kestrel  24
Merlin  7
Peregrine Falcon  1
Unknown Accipiter  1
Unknown Falcon  1
Unknown Raptor  6

Total:  352

Observation start time: 07:45:00
Observation end   time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Scott Kruitbosch

Observers:        Charlie Barnard, Lynn Jones, Ron Pelletier

Beautiful. No cold fronts involved - just a high. Finally, the upper level
low departed, leaving us free and clear to get a classic fall high that
should stall to our west for a few days. Temperatures went from 57 to 70 as
winds grew stronger all day, to the mid teens, with an increasing pressure
gradient. The air dried out, and the only problem was the lack of clouds,
especially in the middle of the day.

Raptor Observations:
The second highest daily totals ever in our short history for COHA, AMKE,
and MERL, and by far the best day ever for SSHA. A couple AMKE came in for
a landing late in the day. Migrants were focused mostly to our SE with the
strong winds, but some went right overhead, and many were quite low as they
fought the stiff breeze.

Non-raptor Observations:
Southbound migrants included:
Canada Goose  1536 - whoa! Not a single oddity that anyone could pick out
from among them.
Red-throated Loon  2 - FOF
Double-crested Cormorant  148
Chimney Swift  1
Tree Swallow  2
Cedar Waxwing  11
Palm Warbler  21
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  38

Migrants in the park included:
Eastern Phoebe  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1 - FOF
Black-throated Green Warbler  1 - stuck around the site for a while,
awesome cooperative bird.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society