[CT Birds] Milford Point

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 20:37:49 EDT 2011

10/5/11 - Milford Pt., Milford, CT - approximately 4:30 - 6:30 PM
I saw the Whimbrel for about 10 minutes sometime between 4:30 and 5:00. I was walking west on the beach towards the Housatonic River. The  bird flew in to join a flock of Black-bellied Plovers at the water's edge in front of the last house. He attempted to be friendly, but the Plovers pecked at him and tried to chase him away. He refused to leave. For 10 minutes, the Whimbrel preened, fed, called and tried to make friends. The party ended abruptly when a Merlin zipped in and tried to catch dinner. He failed, and the group flew off to the nearest sandbar. I lost sight of them after that.  Two Oystercatchers were on the sandbar.
I saw also an immature Yellow-Crowned Night Heron in the marsh,  a small flock of Yellow-rumped  Warblers and a female Towhee  along the road to the houses.
Louise P. Tucker