[CT Birds] Bluff Point

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 5 22:01:29 EDT 2011

Chris let me speculate on your observations today. First, I'm not surprised
the flow dwindled fast. Last night the atmosphere was not as stable as it
will be tonight. So there should (slight equivocation here but anyone who
speaks in absolutes is full of BS) a heavier flight tonight. The Red-bellied
WPs are pretty high, but that is still a small relative number and may
simply reflect the growing population and maybe a good breeding season
thrown in. I am a tad surprised at the small percentage that Yellow-rumped
made up but they should make a better showing tomorrow. Also a tad surprised
at the low numbers of Kinglets. As Glenn Williams correctly mentioned to me
in a private email, the heavy nocturnal flights/Bluff morning flight events
really wrap up by about Columbus Day. So this push maybe the last big one we
see this Fall. Of course smaller events in mid to late October have a higher
chance of good rarities included.

The good news is Bluff should have an interesting morning flight tomorrow
and it now looks as if Friday as well. I can't be there tomorrow but if the
forecasted surface winds hold north or northwest I will be on Friday.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England