[CT Birds] Lots of seabirds around this week, e.g., Cape Cod 10/5

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 00:48:56 EDT 2011

You might want to watch the CT coast for seabirds this week, and also
consider a trip up to Cape Cod.
Keith and I went to the outer cape on Wed October 5th.
Rough weather kept pelagic, whaling, and fishing boats in harbor all day.
The strong winds were remarkable, and so were the seabirds we saw from land,
with most activity around 7am....

a)  Herring Cove Beach, in Provincetown, MA:
9 Parasitic Jaegers, 60 Gannets, several thousand terns and common gulls.
At 7am Cape Cod Bay was swarming with flying birds, as far out as the eye
and binocs could see.

b)  Race Point Beach, in Provincetown MA:
2 Northern Fulmars, 40 Parasitic Jaegers, 200 Greater Shearwaters, 5 Manx
Shearwaters, 100 Gannets, 1000 terns and gulls

c)  South Provincetown Beach:
2 Parasitic Jaegers in harbor area, chasing terns within 500 feet of route

d)  Nauset Beach, in Orleans, MA:
35 Parasitic Jaegers, 1 Pomarine Jaeger, 30 Cory's Shearwaters,  2000 terns
(20% were Forster's).

We also searched for the Sabine's Gull on the outer cape, but
The post for this trip will appear at...
http://coastalbirds2.blogspot.com/ in a few days.
Tom Robben and Keith Mueller