[CT Birds] I'm curious

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 17:57:22 EDT 2011

Until very recently, my father would order some bobwhites and use them to train his bird dogs in Mystic.  He would release them after he was through with them.  Hard to guess how long these birds survived in the wild and how far they might have roamed.  I know that his gun club in Stonington would occasionally release bobwhite and chukars, but mainly release pheasants.  I'm not sure if they stock anything but pheasants now.  The last presumed wild bobwhites in this area were at Haley Farm in Groton and Stonington Country Club.  They haven't been around since the 90's.  The nearest extralimitals to SE CT held out a bit longer in Ninigret Park, RI.

Glenn Williams

Ok, I'd like to know when and where anyone has seen a N. Bobwhite in CT in the last two or three years. The only recent reports I've seen were from the New London area. It would be interesting to know whether or not they are still being released there for hunting. Thanks in advance.

Frank Gallo
Life is short. Bird often.