[CT Birds] Boothe Park 10/6 - 621 raptors

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Thu Oct 6 19:03:12 EDT 2011

On the Broad-wings - I know, you know, we all know, but that's what it is. You tell me. Besides outstanding raptors, passing 10K for the season, there were many other nice sightings...

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 06, 2011

Turkey Vulture  32
Osprey  13
Bald Eagle  15
Northern Harrier  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  359
Cooper's Hawk  32
Broad-winged Hawk  101
Red-tailed Hawk  29
American Kestrel  29
Peregrine Falcon  2
Unknown Accipiter  1
Unknown Buteo  5
Unknown Raptor  2

Total:  621

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter:        Scott Kruitbosch

Observers:        Bill Banks, Charlie Barnard, Lynn Jones

Weather:
Beautiful again. Second day after the upper level low departed allowing the
high to grace us with a NW flow, lighter than yesterday, perfect to push
the birds to our hybrid site. Temperatures maxed out at 64 after a chilly
start with dry air and a very clear sky. That made it tough but we still
had one of the best days ever.

Raptor Observations:
Bill spotted 5 BLACK VULTURES we decided to call local birds as they
lingered by the river and never came through. We had a mess of TUVU and
RTHA that were dismissed as locals.

BWHA were shockingly plentiful, with one kettle of about 25 birds! Most
came by in small groups, many staying over the Housatonic and moving down
along it. Nearly all of us saw every bird and they were frequently
scrutinized with scopes to confirm that, yes, they were actually BWHA. It
provided a few good laughs.

We shattered yesterday's record SSHA day and set a new BAEA daily record,
too. It was the second best day for COHA and AMKE.

Non-raptor Observations:
A ridiculously high number of YRWA broke the morning flight record, and
since I was alone basically that whole time, many more likely flew by our
site. Total number of birds was around 174 between those in the park (38)
when I arrived before beginning the hawk watch and those that flew in
during it (136).

Southbound migrants included:
Canada Goose  711
Common Loon  17 - wow!
Double-crested Cormorant  61
Great Egret  1
RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD  1 - getting late
Tree Swallow  78
Cedar Waxwing  24
Palm Warbler  6
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  136
Brown-headed Cowbird  12

Migrants in the park included:
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Gray Catbird  1
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  4
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  38
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  1 - FOF migrant
Song Sparrow  3
White-throated Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  1 - FOF

Notable other birds:
2 COMMON RAVEN at least as we frequently saw one or two harassing inbound
raptors.

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician