[CT Birds] Bobwhites and sparrows

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 21:26:04 EDT 2011

Frank (and others), on last year's CT Butterfly walk to Flaherty WMA in East Windsor there were several noisy and conspicuous bobwhites hanging out.  Of course, this is a WMA so the birds are obvious releases there.  This year I went birding and butterflying there a couple of times, also in mid to late July, and saw and heard none.

Echoing a comment made by Dave Provencher earlier, I noticed a marked increase in sparrows in my local patches this morning as well. Had at least 3 Lincolns' in various places and a Savannah in a place where they don't breed.  My experience is that the best diversity of species occurs in the second week of October so this is a good time to be looking.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT