[CT Birds] Bluff Point 10/07/11

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Fri Oct 7 13:37:15 EDT 2011

The flight at Bluff Point this morning was moderate to light for the conditions/timing. White-throated Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers dominated the event. 11 species of Warbler and 2 Dickcissels are the most notable. Remarkable to me was the lack of any Red-breasted Nuthatches or Purple Finches, clear indications of a good mast year to our north, but we already knew that! This was a typical mix for the tail end of the peak insectivorous bird migration, All the notables;

Dave Provencher and Steve Morytko from 0630 to 0945, and others after 0630.
10/7/11 - Bluff Point, Groton -  roughly 700 warblers of 11 species, 2,000+ Sparrows, and 2 Dickcissels.

Red-throated Loon (1)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (2)
Cooper's Hawk (2)
Northern Goshawk (1 imm)
Red-tailed Hawk (1 imm)
Kestrel (1)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (11)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (8)
Northern Flicker (10)
Eastern Wood-Pewee (2, a little latish but not surprising)
Eastern Phoebe (14)
Blue-headed Vireo (7)
Red-eyed Vireo (10)
Tree Swallow (50+, tough to get a hard number as groups mull about the area of the hot corner)
White-breasted Nuthatch (1)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (0, this is notable!)
Brown Creeper (4)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (100+)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (15)
Eastern Bluebird (1)
Swainson's Thrush (3)
Hermit Thrush (4)
Catharus Thrush sp (3)
American Robin (300+)
Cedar Waxwing (65)
Nashville Warbler (1)
Northern Parula (8)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (4)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (400+)
Black-throated Green Warbler (6)
Prairie Warbler (1)
Palm Warbler (4, notably low)
Blackpoll Warbler (15)
'Baypoll' Warbler (50+, by past experience these were likely all or nearly all Blackpoll)
Black-and-White Warbler (5)
American Redstart (1 notably low)
Wilson's Warbler (1)
Unidentified Warblers (200+)