[CT Birds] Boothe Park 10/7 - 107 raptors - GOSHAWKS

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Fri Oct 7 20:32:26 EDT 2011

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 07, 2011
Turkey Vulture  5
Osprey  4
Bald Eagle  3
Sharp-shinned Hawk  64
Cooper's Hawk  8
NORTHERN GOSHAWK  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  12
Red-tailed Hawk  4
American Kestrel  1
Unknown Raptor  3

Total:  107

Observation start time: 09:15:00
Observation end   time: 11:45:00
Total observation time: 2.5 hours

Official Counter:        Scott Kruitbosch

Observers:        Bill Banks, Charlie Barnard

Weather:
Before the high moved over Connecticut winds continued out
of the N, light but sufficient for a quick start. Temperatures went from 56
to 62 in our time there under only a bit of light cirrus cover. Just after
11 the birds slowed down dramatically as the wind went NE, and after one
final burst before 11:30, things were done as the flow turned fully E and
S.

Raptor Observations:
Around 9:55 I spotted an accipiter about 25 feet off the ground flying over
the Boothe house. It was heading south and behind us. I instantly said Coop
but quickly realized it was huge, with a thick and heavily marked chest.
Bill saw it about a second after I shouted it out and we both tentatively
thought Goshawk. Fortunately, he relocated it as it swirled up in a thermal
with a Red-tail between the spruce trees to our south not far away.
Juvenile NOGO confirmed. It probably stayed the night nearby.

As Bill and I patted ourselves on the back a moment after 10:00, and while
I took weather measurements, he spotted another bird racing in towards the
willow. It relatively low and not far away, but on a direct course SW. It
had an enormous barrel chest and powerful beats from its distinct wings.
Quite a profile and several minutes.

Non-raptor Observations:
Southbound migrants included:
Canada Goose  142